Celebrate the birth of a new baby with traditional Japanese sandals known as "Tanjou-Waraji." Made of straw, these sandals were originally crafted with the belief that the baby wearing them would grow up strong. In parts of Kyushu, Japan, families even have their one-year-old babies step on red and white mochi rice cakes while wearing the sandals during birthday celebrations. They make for a unique gift or decorative item for anyone welcoming a new addition to the family.
This family owned business started more than three generations ago. In order to get the materials to create these beautiful decors the family spends a whole year sprouting rice seeds in the early spring.
- Each item is handmade and may vary slightly
- Approximate measurement:
- overall (including hangin parts): 16"L x 6"W
- sandal part: 3"W x 4.5"L x 1.5"H
- Material: rice straw
- Care instruction: to clean, gently wipe the surface with a dry cloth. Do not hand wash or make wet.
- Due to natural material, please handle with care. It likes to be in dry places.
- Enjoy it changing color over time. It will turn into yellowish, golden color.