Kakishibu fan is a persimmon tannin dyed paper fan. Persimmon tannin makes the paper stronger and prevents the materials from being eaten by bugs. You will enjoy how it changes color in time! Every fan is hand made and have unique characteristics.
- Pictures shown are a Brand-new (whiter) vs 4 year-old (tanned) fan
- Sold separately
- Long (one size): 6 3/4" W x 14 1/4" H
- Wide-Small: 7 3/4" W x 13 1/4" L
- Wide-Large: 8 1/2" W x 15" L
- Material: washi paper, bamboo
- Care instruction: To clean, gently wipe the surface with a dry cloth.
- Do not hand wash, or make wet
There are actually a few well known paper fan manufacturers in my hometown but I decided to pick the one made by the Miyamoto family. The father attaches washi paper on the bamboo base, mother applies persimmon tannin, and their daughter-in-law finishes the details. The Miyamoto family’s business had started in the 1920s and currently fourth generation family members are creating fans everyday.